My locavore project

In a desire to eat locally grown food and use local products, I am using this blog to help spread awareness of what products we an get locally.
I am updating a local shopping list of where to get all of the local products that we use.
I am also sharing recipes made with local ingredients.

Click on 'Local Shopping List' under 'Labels' to see a local shopping list of products and sellers.

Click on 'recipes' (or categories, 'breakfast', 'lunch', 'dinner', 'appetizer', 'dessert', 'main dish', 'side dish') under 'Labels' to see an array of different recipes using local ingredients!

My goal is for my family to live simply, locally, & abundantly.
There will still be some products that we cannot get locally (sugar, oil, TP, rice, etc.),
but I hope to cut down on items needed at chain stores.
We are trying to buy most of those products in bulk to cut down on waste, costs, and clean up our carbon footprint.

I want my family to support local businesses and eat healthier!
I feel that if we know where our food and products are coming from, we will grow to respect every item more.

It is important to me that my family not be exposed to GMO's, hormones, a large amount of pesticides, chemicals, etc.

By buying local, you support your local economy, businesses, jobs, and families.

Please feel free to share on this blog! Let me know what goods you are finding locally & what recipes you are creating.

Thank you to the many people who make eating locally possible!
Thanks for your vision, hard work,
and love for food! We support you!

Blessings! Jessi

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Cheese Making

I used Mountain Fresh Creamery whole milk to make cheese today.
Their milk is Grade A Pasteurized and Non-Homogenized.
It is excellent for cheese making.
I tried making cheese with Horizons organic whole milk, 
and their milk barely yielded any curds.

1/2 gallon of milk makes appx. 2 cups of cheese.

Here's how to make it:

Pour half a gallon of milk into a large pot and cook on medium heat.
Stir often so milk will not burn.
Cook until milk begins to boil (reaches 180 degrees).
Tiny bubbles will form around the wall of the pot.
Immediately turn off burner, 
and pour in 1/2 cup of vinegar or lemon juice.
Stir milk slowly and watch as curds form out from the whey.
Let milk sit 5-10 minutes to make sure all of the curds have separated.
Put a cheesecloth over a strainer, and place the strainer over a large bowl.
Pour milk through strainer and curds will stay in the cloth.
Squeeze out excess whey from cheese.
You can add salt and herbs to your cheese if you would like.
You can serve or cook with the cheese immediately, 
or you can wrap it in the cloth and store in the refrigerator.   

I am storing my cheese in cloth bags from Nora Mill Granary.
I turn them inside out so the cheese doesn't get caught in the threads.

Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment